Thursday, February 19, 2009

Is It Okay To Be Technologically Illeterate?

The blog written by Karl Fisch addresses the need for technological savvy among teachers in today's education world. He compares technological literacy in the 21st century with reading literacy back in the 20th century. According to Fisch, one could get by with illiteracy in the beginning of the century, but as time went on, it got more difficult to navigate in society and especially the job market without it. By the end of the 20th century, he noted, no one could function without literacy in everyday life. He contends that the same will be true of technological literacy. Frankly, as much as I as a forty year old pride myself with being "old school", even I have to agree with him. I have noticed that computers are incorperating themselves into everyday life and we all need a degree of literacy in it to keep up. I was talking to a friend of mine who is eleven years old and I was surprised to find out all that she has learned about computers in school. I learned power point three years ago. She told me that she learned it in the third grade. She already knew how to do spreadsheets. I was dumbfounded to say the least. We didn't move this fast when I was in school!
Technology makes communication of knowledge and ideas faster and more effective. That's why it is so popular and widespread. Who doesn't want to save time and be more efficient at the same time. Face it, this is an appealing idea.
It enhances teaching to the degree that knowledge can be transferred more widely, more organized, and at a faster pace. I agree with Mr. Fisch in that we as educators need to be technologically literate in today's society. We are competing in a global market where every advantage that we can give our future is crucial. Therefore, I am willing to do what it takes to become more technologically literate and pass the tool on to future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment